Contrary to popular belief, there’s no time like the present to make healthier choices with your food. Using a bit of creativity, there are easy ways to make classic dishes, a little better for you. Consider turkey bacon over traditional bacon, steamed vegetables instead of roasted, and a La Croix over a Coke. With breakfast in particular, it can be challenging to mix health with taste, and avoid monotony. To often, I find myself simply frying up 2-3 egg whites and running out the door. Pretty embarrassing for someone who pretends to run a food blog.
So this weekend, I set out to try something a bit different, that sits on the healthier side, while still bringing great taste to my plate. Meet, the breakfast BLT.
- 2 Eggs (3 if using whites only)
- 2 Slices, Turkey Bacon
- 1 Slice, Multi-Grain Bread
- 4 Slices, Tomato
- 1 Handful, Spinach
- Light Mayo
- Salt & Pepper
- To prep, slice your tomato into ~4 slices, enough to cover bread. Meanwhile, toast the bread and, once cooled, spread with easy, light mayo.
- In a pan, fry the turkey bacon, about 2 slices per serving. Cut into smaller pieces once finished.
- Cook eggs according to your taste. Many enjoy them over-hard, or as scrambled egg whites for the healthier choice. To prepare over-hard eggs, crack two directly in the pan (salt & pepper to taste) and, once set, flip yellow-side down, gently so as not to break the yellow. It should only sit like that for a moment to avoid cooking the yellow through.
- Assemble an open-faced sandwich in the following order: toast, mayo, turkey bacon, tomato, spinach, egg. Enjoy!
(DDF Tip: Prepare food in the order you’ll assemble it, eggs last, so that the meal is as hot as possible when you’re ready to dig in.)