Happy Memorial Day! It is on this day every year that we take a moment to acknowledge those service men and women who have given their lives fighting for America and humbly thank those who continue to defend our liberties. Seems like a good reason for a holiday, so fire up that grill and pull out yesterdays Popsicles, lets make some hamburgers!
This Seemingly Obvious recipe comes in from The Food Network, yields 8 burgers, and was chosen for this post because it looks to be fairly simple and standard, so that you may follow these directions with your own seasonings if you wish!
- 2 pounds of hamburger meat
- 1 package of onion soup mix (Honestly, I would buy 2, and make some soup for myself later… hellllooo college)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce OR Steak Sauce
- Garlic Powder, seasoned to taste. (DDF Tip- When you season meat you are supposed to be a little heavy on the seasoning so it doesn’t all come off in the grill and so your patties absorb the flavor when cooking)
- Dried Onion flakes/powder- also seasoned to taste
- Suggested Toppings: Cheese, Tomatoes, Onions, Lettuce, Pickles, Ketchup, Mustard
- Combine seasoning in a bowl (you could also just sprinkle it onto the patties after step 2, depends on your style)
- Mold meat into patties, remember that meat will shrinkwhen cooked so make hearty patties that will not shrivel away. Handle the meat with your hands for as little time as possible, wash anything that comes in contact with raw meat, including your hands.
- Cook on the grill, heat it up for 5-7 minutes before you throw the meat on there. Flip them over when they look ready, a little less than 4-5 minutes depending on the type of meat. Remove after a few more minutes, this can be hard to estimate but its not as hard as it seems, you can always throw it back on the grill. If unsure of their cooking time, cut into one with the tongs, the more pink the rawer the burger. Don’t press down on the burgers when cooking. If you want a cheese burger throw a slice on the burger while its in its last 30 sec. on the grill to melt it in there.
- You’re done! Place on a bun, top with your choice ofTomatoes, Onions, Lettuce, Pickles, Ketchup, Mustard, oh hell… throw some guacamole on there! You deserve it!
Have a great day, and when all of your friends ask you where you learned how to make burgers this good, you know where to send ‘em!