When it comes to breakfast recipes, too many people get stuck eating the same thing, day in and day out. For me, that’s a shame. Yes, there are only so many combinations of eggs that one can make for their protein boost, but I’d encourage every budget-friendly millennial out there to give this one a try.
At first, I was a little hesitant to compliment my scrambled eggs with pesto (even though I cook with pesto on everything else), but now I’m glad I went out on a limb. Give it a taste and let me know what you think in the comments.
- Bread (2 slices)
- 2 Eggs (DDF TIP: Use egg whites only for a healthier breakfast)
- Turkey Sausage
- Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- Lightly toast the bread and begin slicing the sausage into thin, length-wise strips, that fit the length of the bread.
- Crack eggs in a small bowl, scramble. Add salt and pepper.
- Begin frying the sausage while scrambling the egg in a separate pan. Keep the egg fluffy by using a spatula to move it around every 5-10 seconds and don’t forget to flip the turkey sausage after about 3 minutes (depending on the meat’s thickness).
- Layer your Pesto Sausage Breakfast Sandwich in the following order: Toast, enough pesto to cover the toast, a dash of parmesan (optional), turkey sausage and egg. Top with the other slice of toast, because obviously.
The key here is to make sure that you don’t put a ton of pesto on there, enough to cover the toast once over will be plenty. The other watch-out is to be smart about the amount of egg you add to the sandwich. Don’t be afraid to cut off the amount you don’t need and eat it on the side.
Do you have a breakfast recipe to share with us? We love new ideas.