I love Italian food. Pizza, olive oil, bread, cheese, and pasta are all things I could eat every single day. Unfortunately, combined they cannot be considered healthy foods (well, maybe with the exception of olive oil)! To combat this issue, I’ve created a healthier take on pasta that includes fresh vegetables and whole wheat pasta.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup jarred pasta sauce
- 1 serving whole wheat pasta
- Grated parmesan cheese, optional
- Prepare pasta according to package directions while beginning to heat olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Add tomato, onion, and broccoli to pan with olive oil and cover with lid, stirring occasionally.
- When your pasta has only a few minutes left to cook, add the spinach to the pan with the other veggies and again cover with lid.
- Add cooked pasta and jarred pasta sauce to pan with veggies, mix well.
- Transfer to your favorite plate and top with as much grated parmesan cheese as your heart desires (I usually go for 2 tbsp)
This would make a lovely pair with some easy garlic bread! Comment down below and let me know if you enjoyed this pasta dish as much as I did!